Catalyst’s Advocates have the privilege of supporting survivors in filing for restraining orders and child custody orders if they are filed with the restraining order.
Going to court can be difficult emotionally. Advocates are sometimes available to accompany participants who are scheduled to appear in court for their restraining order hearing and/or mediation appointment.
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders are available at no cost to survivors whose safety is at risk. These orders empower survivors to establish legal boundaries, enforced through the Butte County Superior Court.
For more detailed information or to make a legal advocacy appointment, please contact us at:
530-343-7711 (Chico Office) or 530-532-6427 (Oroville Office).
Restraining Order Process Overview
The basic steps to get a restraining order in Butte County are:
- Complete the domestic violence restraining order request forms.
- Turn in the completed forms to the Family Court Clerk at the North Butte County Courthouse in Chico, 1775 Concord Ave.
- Pick up paperwork once the judge has made a decision regarding your request, usually within 24-48 hours after filing.
- Have the other party personally served a copy of everything that you filed, either by using the Sheriff’s office or a 3rd party, at least 5 days before your hearing. Sheriff Service is free of charge and only requires a physical address of the abusive partner.
- The server should fill out and sign a ‘proof of personal service’ (DV-200 form). Make a copy for your records and submit it to the clerk’s office as soon as possible. The order is not enforceable until the other party is served and there is a proof of service filed with the court.
- Attend court on the assigned date and any future court dates. Your abusive partner will likely be there for the hearing. Sometimes it is necessary to have a continuation to allow the other party to respond to your request. In such cases temporary orders will remain in effect. A judge can grant a permanent order for up to 5 years, but 3 years is the standard.